Constituent policy

5 cities in Metro Manila to continue no-contact arrest policy

Images from the INQUIRER.net image bank

MANILA, Philippines – Despite a petition filed with the Supreme Court to stop the implementation of the No Contact Apprehension Policy (NCAP), five cities in Metro Manila have stood their ground and committed to the continue, claiming that it provides motorists with a safe environment.

In a joint statement on Wednesday, the mayors of the five cities expressed their common position to continue the implementation of NCAP, as they pledged to continuously improve infrastructure and road conditions for motorists.

The joint statement was signed by Valenzuela City Mayor Wes Gatchalian, Parañaque City Mayor Eric Olivarez, Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte, San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora, and Manila Mayor Honey Lacuna.

“As we move forward, the undersigned Local Chief Executives, in the exercise of our powers as such, with full consideration of promoting the general welfare of our respective constituents, will continue to implement NCAP in our cities. “, said the mayors.

According to the mayors, the use of NCAP as approved by their respective city councils has resulted in the following:

  • Minimization of human intervention in traffic control, thus eliminating corruption
  • created a culture of discipline among motorists and improved driving behavior
  • ensured road safety and proved effective in reducing traffic violations and traffic-related accidents.

Previously, various transportation groups petitioned the Supreme Court to issue an injunction against NCAP’s enforcement, arguing that motorists were “under constant threat of being arbitrarily apprehended from a distance and issued tickets for alleged traffic offenses committed without any contact”.

The Land Transport Office (LTO) has also urged local government units to halt implementation of NCAP, after some motorists were asked to pay fines despite not committing any violations, while some motorists complained that they had been fined twice for the same offence.

The five Metro mayors, however, said in their statement that the implementation of NCAP has never ignored motorists’ due process “since each local government unit has its respective traffic adjudication boards where motorists can challenge and lodge protests or appeals”.

They added that the effective implementation of the said policy requires cooperation between LGUs and government agencies like the LTO.

“We therefore collectively urge all relevant government agencies to support us in pursuing and continuing to innovate this internationally proven program for effective traffic management,” the mayors said.

On Wednesday, Quezon City Fourth District Representative Marvin Rillo tabled a resolution directing three House committees to investigate NCAP.

LTO Chief Teofilo Guadiz III meanwhile urged Metro Manila mayors to meet with LTO and Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) to review NCAP policies and form a task force. technical work to solve the problems that haunt him.

RELATED STORIES:

Solon wants the no-contact apprehension policy reviewed and stopped immediately

MMDA Respects LGU’s Autonomy on “Contactless Apprehension Policy”

/MUF

Read more

Don’t miss the latest news and information.

To subscribe to MORE APPLICANT to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to news, download as early as 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For comments, complaints or inquiries, Contact us.