The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) provide research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. The Alliance’s solutions respond to the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss and environmental degradation.
Through new partnerships, the Alliance is generating evidence and integrating innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so they sustain the planet, drive prosperity and feed people in a climate crisis. The Alliance is part of the CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future.
Through the development of CGIAR FOCUS Climate Security, the CGIAR aims to unpack the links – and fill the knowledge gaps – regarding the relationship between climate change and food security in order to leverage the expertise of the CGIAR for peace and security results. Using a multidisciplinary methodological approach, our main objective is to generate and align science and evidence of climate-sensitive climate, land, food and water systems with ongoing efforts to address climate security, stability and socio-political peace in the areas of policy, programming and finance.
About the position
CGIAR FOCUS Climate Security is looking for a Scientist in climate, peace and security policies. The objective of this position is to provide high-quality research on climate-related security risks and opportunities for climate action and peace, and how earth, food and water systems science intersects with their understanding and articulation. Specifically, this position will contribute to a better understanding and evidence of the potential of climate change adaptation efforts, in general, and of CGIAR research to contribute to peacebuilding and stability. This position will work directly with policy makers, researchers and donors to strengthen the climate security sensitivity of governance processes, policies, programs and investments.
With a strong background in peace and conflict studies, policy and related qualitative analysis, the successful candidate will contribute to the following research areas:
- Evidence 4 Climate Security: Understanding the complexity of climate and security for informed, gender-sensitive and socially equitable decision-making. This area of research will help decompose the major impact pathways that link climate, agriculture, and security across different geographies to enrich our knowledge of the complex, context-specific, socially variable, and dynamic pathways through which climate affects the risk of conflict.
- Programming 4 Climate Security: Develop operations sensitive to climate security in agricultural environments. The main objective of this component is to develop a global framework to inform the design and implementation of integrated programs at regional, national and sub-national levels improving interventions, research, policies and investments to mitigate and prevent conflict. , reduce inequalities and people’s vulnerabilities. , and increase resilience.
- Policy 4 Climate Security: Articulating the role of food systems in a climate crisis for policy and frameworks. This area of research aims to engage with communities, civil society and government actors at multiple scales of governance to assess and improve policy coherence, integration and performance in climate and security-related areas. .
- Finance 4 Climate Security: Mobilize funding by aligning objectives and incentives with the Humanitarian, Development and Peace Nexus. This area of research aims to identify and prioritize climate adaptation investments that have the greatest peace potential to align climate adaptation and the peace and security goals of governments and donors.
- Lead the Climate Security Governance, Policy Coherence and Programming work streams, which aim to assess the climate security sensitivity of governance, policy and programming processes and design tools and guidelines to help policymakers, researchers and funders integrate climate security risks into decision-making processes and investment decisions.
- Lead the conceptual and theoretical development of climate security innovation products, such as the Climate Security Program Verification Guidelines and the Climate Security Governance and Policy Toolkit
- Supervise, mentor and manage climate security specialists, including supporting, promoting and disseminating their research
- Design, conduct, write and disseminate high quality research and communicate research results through research papers, journal articles, reports, policy briefs and other materials
- Network with relevant researchers, policy makers and civil society actors at national, regional and international levels
- Raising funds and writing proposals for research activities.
- Report/communication to supervisor and donors and discovery/response to tender processes
- Support the global deployment of climate security research.
- Support global and regional partnerships by managing and developing institutional relationships and joint initiatives with selected country and regional offices
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A Ph.D. Degree in Peace and Conflict Studies, Political and International Science and related field
- At least 5 years of experience as a researcher initiating and carrying out their own research projects on issues related to climate-related security risks and experience in managing researchers or research assistants.
- Extensive international research experience for applied research and development programs
- Extensive experience in international and multicultural contexts and in interacting with researchers, policy makers, donors and civil society in a wide range of contexts
- Solid knowledge of issues related to climate-related security risks, either more broadly or in depth in a specific sub-area (e.g. peace and conflict, development, migration or organizational responses).
- Strong knowledge of qualitative research methods.
- Good knowledge of the multilateral system, preferably the United Nations, the African Union or Regional Economic Communities in Africa
- A publication record proportional to the duration of work in research.
- Proven ability to work and deliver by leading teams.
- Ease of working in English and/or French both orally and in writing, fluency in the language being an advantage.
- Excellent report writing, communication and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural, team-oriented environment
- Strong conceptual thinking to develop innovative research approaches
Terms of employment
This is an internationally recruited position and will be based either Nairobi (Kenya), Pretoria (South Africa), Cairo (Egypt) or Dakar (Senegal). (Please note that preference will be given to Pretoria and Cairo where possible). The initial contract will be for two (2) years, subject to a trial period of six (6) months, and is renewable based on performance and availability. This is a position at level 10, on a scale of 14 levels, with level 14 being the highest.
The Bioversity and CIAT Alliance offers a multicultural and collegial research environment with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to ensure gender, diversity and inclusion within our workforce, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status or any other characteristic.
How to register
Please apply online through the website (https://alliancebioversityciat.org/careers) not later than September 23, 2022, attaching a cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position above against the qualifications, skills and abilities listed, as well as a detailed curriculum vitae, including the names and contact details of three references familiar with your professional qualifications and work experience. work. Both documents in English. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for submitting applications: September 23, 2022
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only selected candidates will be contacted
We invite you to learn more about us at: http://alliancebioversityciat.org